Course 404 Section 3 Summary – HUD / GUI:
– The HUD communicates game concepts to players. (Theme, Progress, Abilities)
– Players should be able access (and process) HUD information quickly.
– Keep HUD elements away from the sides of the screen and closer to the safe frame.
– Design easy-to-see and and -read icons.
– Make Quick Time Events fair and easy to perform. (randomizing makes them hard)
– Players should never have to press a button more than 3 times to reach any screen
in the game (3 degrees of separation).
– Don’t make players dig through screens for important information
summarize or link to it in a main menu.
– Fonts should be easy to read. Don’t make them too small or too fancy.
– Even the most “boring” screens like an options menu, loading screen, etc. can and should be interesting.
– Give credit where credit is due. ALWAYS!