Level 3 Section 5 Summary – Enemies, Obstacles and Boss Fights:
(need more about obstacles)
– Form follows function (enemies should look, move and behave in a way that corresponds to their role)
– Design your enemies to complement and contrast with each other.
– Carefully balance the enemies’ strength, speed and size.
– Fighting enemies is supposed to be fun.
– Enemies are meant to be fought, not avoided.
– Not every enemy attack has to do damage.
– You always want the player to hate the enemy.
– Use dynamic difficulty to give the player some help.
– Watch out for camera issues when creating large-scale bosses.
– Where the boss fight takes place is just as important as who the player is fighting.
– The player has to give the boss the killing / finishing strike.
– Creating conflict without combat: agitators, “gremlins” that undo progress, time challenge
– Emphasize drama, danger and conflict rather than just huge scale and rocket-firing T-rexes.