Level 3 Section 2 Summary – Game Theory and Strategic Decision Making
– Game Theory describes how people make decisions and plan out strategies in competition.
– Most players will take actions that seem to give themselves the best outcome.
– A balance of strategies requires that each player can adopt a strategy that is suited to counter another.
– Balancing dominant strategies will usually make gameplay more fun and interesting.
– Game Theory only simulates conditions under certain assumptions, and real-life gameplay can introduce new situations that need to be considered. Trial-and-error and testing are important.
– Strategies can change depending on the whether players have the same or varying abilities, perfect
or limited knowledge of the other player’s actions, whether action is real-time or turn-based and
the consequences or prizes that are at stake for each player involved.ed.