Level 2 Section 1 Summary – Intro to the Three C’s: Character
– Form follows function: your character’s actions and personality should determine their appearance.
– Give your characters distinct shapes, features, and colors to distinguish them.
– Name your hero appropriately.
– Customization will increase player attachment.
– Use the player character to reflect in-game status.
– Companions and SPCs require a fair amount of work to get right. Make them complement the player character.
– Balance multiple player characters to maximize effectiveness.
– Give your NPCs gameplay functions, not just story-telling roles.
– Use the player character to determine game metrics. (object heights, width of passages, speed)
– WALKING IS NOT GAMEPLAY! Better to have players jump, dash, swing, explore, etc.